Here is the YouTube link for a trailer to our Documentary if you would like to show friends, family, colleagues or medical professionals:
It can also be reached by searching YouTube: Alzheimer’s Dementia Trailer
Our journey began when researching for a few vitamins that might slow down a family member’s Alzheimer’s disease.
We are documentary film makers, we are NOT health professionals. You should consult a qualified medical professional for your medical needs.
This is a work in progress. We are constantly changing it as we learn more. Here is what we have put together so far:
Below are the basic causes of Alzheimer’s that we found when we did research for our documentary and interviewed health professionals and people across the United States who were able to reverse their Alzheimer’s/Dementia. They were able to regain much of their mental ability when they identified and treated the cause of THEIR dementia and/or Alzheimer’s.
1. Mercury, lead and heavy metal toxins.
2. Toxins in our air, water, food, electromagnetics and environment.
3. Low T3 even when thyroid tests are normal.
4. Neurological side effects from prescription medications.
5. Vitamin and mineral deficiency.
6. Inflammation from low level infections, food allergies and other sensitivities.
CAUSE 1. Mercury, lead and heavy metal toxins. Probably the biggest culprit in mercury exposure is “silver” fillings which most people do not realize are 50 percent mercury. Mercury is 50 times more neurotoxic than lead and even the ADA admits there is off-gassing of mercury on a daily basis and we are breathing 1,750 times per day. For those with several fillings, the exposure is particularly high. Metal fillings placed after 1970 are high in copper and are particularly dangerous. For those with gold and “silver” mixed in the mouth, there is a high galvanic reaction between the various metals, which can lead to additional neurological difficulties.
Flu and many other shots contain mercury and even thimerisol-free vaccines can have trace amounts. Adults who have received regular flu shots year after year are significantly more likely to have Alzheimer’s. Many older people today were exposed to lead pipes and lead paint as children. Lead and mercury together have a synergistic damaging effect.
When we looked at the statistics we found that the older you are the more likely you are to have Alzheimer’s and Dementia. When we interviewed doctors we found that there is a toxic body burden that when the body reaches it you are susceptible to ALL toxins. We were also told that toxins are first stored in relatively stable places like bones and fat, then when they run out of stable places to go they go to the brain, the liver, the kidneys and other organs. Which organ or which part of the brain is dependent on both the type of toxin and your genetics. Also, those with the ApoE4 Alzheimer’s gene have a decreased ability in their body to process heavy metal toxins, therefore an increased risk of Alzheimer’s.
99 percent of dentists are NOT educated about mercury. They believe the American Dental Association propaganda that they receive regularly from the ADA journals. The ADA officially says off-gassing is minimal and mercury is safe in the mouth based on a few poorly-designed skewed studies. This is NOT true, mercury is not safe inches from the brain or anywhere else in the body, and there are thousands of peer-reviewed journal articles to prove it.
SOLUTION 1: Stop incoming heavy metals, especially from silver fillings and vaccines and detoxify. One person we interviewed after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s with frontal lobe shrinkage on his CAT scan and severe memory loss, regained memory and cognitive function after having all of his teeth removed and replaced by dentures. A subsequent CAT scan after removal and detox showed the shrinkage had reversed.. Most people simply have their fillings replaced by white “composite” fillings, and even these you want to make sure you get the least toxic type. Another person had no fillings but faithfully got her flu shot each year. She improved by detoxing mercury out of her body.
1. Go to www.IAOMT.org and visit a mercury free dentist and remove all metal from your mouth, especially mercury, nickel, and copper alloys. A list of mercury-free dentists can be found at iaomt.org, as well as proper procedures for mercury filling removal.
WARNING: Have mercury removed ONLY by a qualified mercury-free dentist or your condition can worsen. This is because the highest levels of exposure happen when mercury fillings are placed or removed, and exposure can be minimized with the use of a dental dam, an alternate sealed air source, and other precautions taken by mercury free dentists. Also note that gold mixed with other metals in the mouth causes a galvanic reaction, which is particularly harmful to the body. Also note that bio-compatability tests can be done to find filling materials that your body does not adversely react to.
2. When fillings are removed consider high doses of oral or IV vitamin C immediately afterwards to help process any mercury released into the body.
3. Consider having root canals removed. Visit www.westonprice.org, review the research and make your own decision. For some root canal testimonials visit:
4. Educate yourself by researching mercury, lead and metal detoxification methods. Educate yourself about fillings, root canals, and implants by going to Consumers for Dental Choice, www.toxicteeth.org, www.iaomt.org. View related YouTube videos.
5. Detoxify heavy metals from your body based on your own research. There are oral and natural chelators like vitamin C, selenium, chlorella, cilantro and DMSA. Bentonite clay foot or body baths can be used. Bowel transit time needs to be addressed. WARNING: Over 90 percent of mercury is excreted through the bowel and if transit time is too long loosened mercury can be reabsorbed before it is excreted. Lots of fiber and other methods such as colonics or enemas can help with this. Far infared saunas are great for detoxification. Some of these can be purchased for around $300. Remember these methods remove the good with the bad so remineralization and adding electrolytes (sauna) is important. Do your own research and see which of these or others will work for you.
6. Detoxify with the help of a medical professional. Medical professionals trained in detoxification can be found at www.ACAM.org. The above warnings remain true. You are responsible for your own or your loved one’s health. Your doctor is there to guide you.
7. Note that heavy metals especially mercury can be the cause of not only various neurological diseases, but also depression, mood swings, heart and circulatory problems, lung and asthma issues, arthritis and joint pain, tumors, and a host of other chronic conditions.
8. Mercury testing. If you choose to get tested for mercury, tests are notoriously inaccurate. Different doctors prefer blood, urine, hair and stool. For pros and cons of each see: http://www.dentalwellness4u.com/mercurydetox/testformercury.html
CAUSE 2. Toxins in our water, air, food, and work environment. This includes all artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners, including vanillin, ethyl vanillin, all yellow, red and blue dyes, msg, aspartame, nutrasweet, equal, anything that says artificial on the label. All of these are known neurotoxins. This also includes pesticides on our food, chlorine and fluoride and other toxins like arsenic and perchlorate in our water. Some people were exposed at work to chemicals for years.
SOLUTION 2. Stop incoming chemical toxins and detoxify. We control in a very large part incoming toxins.
1. Drink enough pure filtered water. Hydration is essential to brain health and essential to detoxification and cleansing the body. It is key to the health of every single cell in the body. Use a high quality water filter to filter out toxins including perchlorates, chlorine and fluoride.
2. Read food labels. Ingest NO artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, especially nothing diet, no aspartame, nutrasweet, equal. These are known neurotoxins, no msg, no artificial vanilla flavor. No corn syrup since it is genetically modified, especially no high fructose corn syrup since it is made with cyanide and many samples have been found to contain mercury. Most pickles have yellow dye #5 in them. Red and blue dyes are equally toxic. Chose brands without these things. We have found brands that have no additives of any kind. Visit www.feingold.org for non-toxic food alternatives.
3. Eat organic as much as possible and when you cannot wash your vegetables thoroughly.
4. Avoid processed and packaged food as much as possible to reduce the risk of additives.
5. Reduce environmental toxins where possible. Natural toxin free household cleaners, soaps, shampoos, toothpaste. Stop using chemicals on your lawn and in your garden, or for pest control. Wear gloves, ventilate while working on your car.
6. Become more aware of the dangers of food additives. Search YouTube or purchase or borrow these documentaries: Sweet Misery, Sweet Remedy, Food Inc., Food Matters, A Beautiful Truth, King Korn.
7. Avoid excessive electro-magnetics. These can cause cell damage. Cell phones and cordless phones should be used with a wired headset. Avoid sleeping where electricity enters your home. If you live near power lines, highways or a train station, sleep on the side of the house away from them. Do not sleep with clock radios or other electrical devices near your head, even if turned off. Avoid excessive exposure to computers, microwaves and other electronic devices.
8. Detoxify on your own based on your own research. Glutathione is the master detoxifier and ASEA increases glutathione efficiency by over 500 percent. Certain foods and green tea, chlorella and cilantro can aid in detoxification, as can liver cleanses. Enemas and colon cleanses are another way to detoxify. Far infared saunas are great for detoxification. Some of these can be purchased for around $300. Do your own research and see which of these or others will work for you.
9. Detoxify with the help of a medical professional. See a medical professional who understands detoxification. See www.ACAM.org for doctors trained in detoxification. There are also liver cleanses, herbs and other methods that can be done through a licensed nutritionist or another medical professional.
9. Remember once you are neurologically compromised, you become sensitive to ANY toxins, not just those that contributed to your condition. Be especially vigilant.
CAUSE 3: Low T3.
T3 is a component of thyroid. 99 percent of doctors measure only TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone, and free T4, thyroid storage hormone. They also need to measure free T3 and reverse T3. T3 is the active form of thyroid and low T3 can cause mental confusion and cognitive difficulties. 99 percent of doctors prescribe Synthroid or Levothyroxin which is a T4-only synthetic thyroid replacement. The problem with this is that for many people, their bodies cannot convert from T4 to T3, so synthetic thyroid will not work for them. Low T3 symptoms include low body temperature, fatigue, memory loss, mental confusion, depression, thinning hair and eyebrows and others. Many people in nursing homes are low in T3 although their T4 and TSH tests are normal.
SOLUTION 3: For over 100 years, the best and most natural way to supplement for low thyroid was dessicated porcine or bovine thyroid. Natural dessicated thyroid most closely resembles what the human body makes and contains T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin just like human thyroid. Most people have significantly better results on natural versus synthetic thyroid.
1. Take your temperature. If your waking temperature is below 97.6 and your afternoon temperature is below 98.6 you may be low in T3 and may need natural desiccated thyroid or thyroid support. See Dr. Rind’s site for more info:
2. Visit www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and similar sites and books on natural thyroid to see if you have other symptoms of low thyroid even if your labs are normal.
3. Get tested for thyroid including free T3, reverse T3, and thyroid Antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb) –see above stopthethyroidmadness.com website or book.
4. Find a doctor who is familiar with desiccated thyroid such as Nature-throid, Westhroid, Armour and Canada’s Erfa thyroid all natural. Find a doctor who will dose on symptoms, such as low temperature and energy levels and not rely solely on lab tests.
5. Iodine deficiency is a primary cause of low T3. Build up the thyroid with this and other thyroid supporting supplements such as iodine, selenium and L-tyrosine combined together. Most naturopaths seem to recommend Iodoral, which is available online. ThyroPower by Physician’s Strength is also available online.
CAUSE 4: Side effects from prescription medications.
Many medications cause confusion, memory and cognitive difficulty. Some of the worst are statin cholesterol medications, which can cause very serious memory loss. Blood pressure medications, anti-depressants, arthritis medications and many others have serious cognitive and memory side effects, as do many pain medications. Look up the possible side effects of all the medications you are on. Also look up the side effects of drug interactions.
SOLUTION 4: Consider switching to safer medications as well as to natural non-toxic alternatives to these medications.
1. Visit www.spacedoc.net and look at the science behind cholesterol and high blood pressure medications.
2. Remember the brain requires adequate amounts of cholesterol to function. Cholesterol that is too low will interfere with brain function.
3. Visit www.drugs.com or another site and look at side effects and interactions with other drugs.
4. There are many ways to naturally treat symptoms without the use of prescription medications. Again, a doctor who is a member of ACAM (www.acam.org), a naturopath or a nutritionist can help you.
CAUSE 5: Vitamin and Mineral deficiency.
Low redox signaling molecules, low omega 3, vitamin D, vitamin B12, magnesium and other vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
SOLUTION 5: nutrition and supplements
1. Eat foods that are nutritionally rich. Raw foods, vegetables, fruits, nuts, a good quality green drink, healthy proteins and fats.
2. A good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement with no artificial additives. Do your research. Some vitamin and mineral supplements that are known for brain health, are Omega 3s, medium chain fatty acids like coconut oil, vitamin B12, niacinimide, acetyl L carnitine, n-acetyl cysteine. Lots of vitamin D is essential to good health and is a natural anti-inflammatory. Many people were able to reverse symptoms with supplementation of these, coconut oil, glutathione and other vitamins and minerals. Remember Iodine, selenium and l-tyrosone together can help support thyroid. Vitamin C, magnesium, selenium and chlorella and cilantro can help with heavy metal detoxification.
3. Cellular regeneration and repair via redox signaling. The foundation of good health is healthy cells throughout the body. Healthy red blood cells, heart cells and lung cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the brain. Healthy liver and kidney cells are important for detoxification which will mean the blood will deliver clean blood to the brain. Healthy stomach cells, intestinal, colon cells are important to give nutrients to the body and the brain. Scientists have recently discovered that brain cells can repair and regenerate. ASEA is foundational to cellular regeneration and repair, it increases oxygen to cells and increases glutathione efficiency which aids in detoxification. For more information, visit www.healthadvocates.teamasea.com and watch the product video. Go to Products-Downloads for research.
4. For serious cases, consider IV glutathione supplementation. This has significantly improved memory and cognition in many cases. Look into oxygen treatments such as IV hydrogen peroxide. This also has significantly improved memory in many cases. It has also shown good results when combined with chelation. This is called chelox treatment. These must be done carefully with the help of a trained medical professional with proper attention to bowel transit time as noted above.
CAUSE 6. Inflammation caused by low level infections, gluten, wheat and other food allergies. Inflammation interferes with brain function. When these are identified and eliminated, brain function improves.
SOLUTION 6: find and eliminate the cause of the inflammation.
1. Try a gluten free diet. Gluten is a major cause of inflammation, including brain inflammation.
2. Get tested for allergies and do trials eliminating most foods then adding them back in slowly to see which you react to. Doctors informed us that many of the foods you love and crave most younger often allergic to.
3. Consider removal of root canal teeth. These have been shown to be the cause of long term low level infections, which can affect brain function. Visie www.westonprice.org for more information. Also, www.IAOMT.org.
We were surprised that not all naturopaths or functional medicine MDs knew the extent of all of these, although those found at www.ACAM.org were more likely to. Eliminating toxins and detoxifying were directly involved in 1,3,4 and 6, and indirectly with 2.
The above is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, prevent or treat any disease.
We would be remiss if we did not mention that we found a couple of truly outstanding dietary supplements for overall health and anti-aging that we use ourselves. We are glad to share that information with you if you email us.
Again, we are documentary film makers, we are NOT health professionals. We do not give medical advice we are just passing on information. We do not claim to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any disease. For medical assistance you should consult a qualified medical professional and do your own research.